chasquid includes an HTTP server for monitoring purposes, which for security it is not enabled by default.
You can use the
monitoring_address configuration option to enable it.
Then just browse the address and human-friendly links to various monitoring and debugging tools should appear.
- Command-line flags.
- Traces of both short and long lived requests (sampled).
- State of the queue.
- State of goroutines.
- Exported variables.
- Profiling endpoints, for use with
go tool pprofor similar tools.
chasquid exports some variables for monitoring, via the standard expvar package, which can be useful for whitebox monitoring.
They're accessible over the monitoring http server, at
endpoint for expvars).
Note these are still subject to change, although breaking changes will be avoided whenever possible, and will be noted in the release notes.
List of exported variables:
- chasquid/aliases/hookResults (hook result -> counter): count of aliases hook results, by hook and result.
- chasquid/queue/deliverAttempts (recipient type -> counter): attempts to deliver mail, by recipient type (pipe/local email/remote email).
- chasquid/queue/dsnQueued (counter): count of DSNs that we generated (queued).
- chasquid/queue/itemsWritten (counter): count of items the queue wrote to disk.
- chasquid/queue/putCount (counter): number of envelopes put in the queue.
- chasquid/smtpIn/commandCount (map of command -> count): count of SMTP
commands received, by command. Note that for unknown commands we use
- chasquid/smtpIn/hookResults (result -> counter): count of hook invocations, by result.
- chasquid/smtpIn/loopsDetected (counter): count of email loops detected.
- chasquid/smtpIn/responseCodeCount (code -> counter): count of response codes returned to incoming SMTP connections, by result code.
- chasquid/smtpIn/securityLevelChecks (result -> counter): count of security level checks on incoming connections, by result.
- chasquid/smtpIn/spfResultCount (result -> counter): count of SPF checks, by result.
- chasquid/smtpIn/tlsCount (tls status -> counter): count of TLS statuses (plain/tls) for incoming SMTP connections.
- chasquid/smtpOut/securityLevelChecks (result -> counter): count of security level checks on outgoing connections, by result.
- chasquid/smtpOut/sts/mode (mode -> counter): count of STS checks on outgoing connections, by mode (enforce/testing).
- chasquid/smtpOut/sts/security (result -> counter): count of STS security checks on outgoing connections, by result (pass/fail).
- chasquid/smtpOut/tlsCount (status -> counter): count of TLS status (insecure TLS/secure TLS/plain) on outgoing connections.
- chasquid/sourceDateStr (string): timestamp when the binary was built, in human readable format.
- chasquid/sourceDateTimestamp (int): timestamp when the binary was built, in seconds since epoch.
- chasquid/sts/cache/expired (counter): count of expired entries in the STS cache.
- chasquid/sts/cache/failedFetch (counter): count of failed fetches in the STS cache.
- chasquid/sts/cache/fetches (counter): count of total fetches in the STS cache.
- chasquid/sts/cache/hits (counter): count of hits in the STS cache.
- chasquid/sts/cache/invalid (counter): count of invalid policies in the STS cache.
- chasquid/sts/cache/ioErrors (counter): count of I/O errors when reading/writing as part of keeping the STS cache.
- chasquid/sts/cache/marshalErrors (counter): count of marshaling errors as part of keeping the STS cache.
- chasquid/sts/cache/refreshCycles (counter): count of STS cache refresh cycles.
- chasquid/sts/cache/refreshErrors (counter): count of STS cache refresh errors.
- chasquid/sts/cache/refreshes (counter): count of STS cache refreshes.
- chasquid/sts/cache/unmarshalErrors (counter): count of unmarshaling errors as part of keeping the STS cache.
- chasquid/version (string): version string.
# Address to listen on. Prometheus should be told to scrape this. listen_addr = ":8000" [chasquid] # Replace with the address of chasquid's monitoring server. url = "http://localhost:1099/debug/vars" # Metrics are auto-imported, but some can't be; in particular the ones with # labels need explicit definitions here. m.aliases_hook_results.expvar ="chasquid/aliases/hookResults" m.aliases_hook_results.help ="aliases hook results" m.aliases_hook_results.label_name ="result" m.deliver_attempts.expvar = "chasquid/queue/deliverAttempts" m.deliver_attempts.help = "attempts to deliver mail" m.deliver_attempts.label_name = "recipient_type" m.dsn_queued.expvar = "chasquid/queue/dsnQueued" m.dsn_queued.help = "DSN queued" m.items_written.expvar = "chasquid/queue/itemsWritten" m.items_written.help = "items written" m.queue_puts.expvar = "chasquid/queue/putCount" m.queue_puts.help = "chasquid/queue/putCount" m.smtpin_commands.expvar = "chasquid/smtpIn/commandCount" m.smtpin_commands.help = "incoming SMTP command count" m.smtpin_commands.label_name = "command" m.smtp_hook_results.expvar = "chasquid/smtpIn/hookResults" m.smtp_hook_results.help = "hook invocation results" m.smtp_hook_results.label_name = "result" m.loops_detected.expvar = "chasquid/smtpIn/loopsDetected" m.loops_detected.help = "loops detected" m.smtp_response_codes.expvar = "chasquid/smtpIn/responseCodeCount" m.smtp_response_codes.help = "response codes returned to SMTP commands" m.smtp_response_codes.label_name = "code" m.in_sec_level_checks.expvar = "chasquid/smtpIn/securityLevelChecks" m.in_sec_level_checks.help = "incoming security level check results" m.in_sec_level_checks.label_name = "result" m.spf_results.expvar = "chasquid/smtpIn/spfResultCount" m.spf_results.help = "SPF result count" m.spf_results.label_name = "result" m.in_tls_usage.expvar = "chasquid/smtpIn/tlsCount" m.in_tls_usage.help = "count of TLS usage in incoming connections" m.in_tls_usage.label_name = "status" m.out_sec_level_checks.expvar = "chasquid/smtpOut/securityLevelChecks" m.out_sec_level_checks.help = "outgoing security level check results" m.out_sec_level_checks.label_name = "result" m.sts_modes.expvar = "chasquid/smtpOut/sts/mode" m.sts_modes.help = "STS checks on outgoing connections, by mode" m.sts_modes.label_name = "mode" m.sts_security.expvar = "chasquid/smtpOut/sts/security" m.sts_security.help = "STS security checks on outgoing connections, by result" m.sts_security.label_name = "result" m.out_tls_usage.expvar = "chasquid/smtpOut/tlsCount" m.out_tls_usage.help = "count of TLS usage in outgoing connections" m.out_tls_usage.label_name = "status" m.sts_cache_expired.expvar = "chasquid/sts/cache/expired" m.sts_cache_expired.help = "expired entries in the STS cache" m.sts_cache_failed_fetch.expvar = "chasquid/sts/cache/failedFetch" m.sts_cache_failed_fetch.help = "failed fetches in the STS cache" m.sts_cache_fetches.expvar = "chasquid/sts/cache/fetches" m.sts_cache_fetches.help = "total fetches in the STS cache" m.sts_cache_hits.expvar = "chasquid/sts/cache/hits" m.sts_cache_hits.help = "hits in the STS cache" m.sts_cache_invalid.expvar = "chasquid/sts/cache/invalid" m.sts_cache_invalid.help = "invalid policies in the STS cache" m.sts_cache_io_errors.expvar = "chasquid/sts/cache/ioErrors" m.sts_cache_io_errors.help = "I/O errors when maintaining STS cache" m.sts_cache_marshal_errors.expvar = "chasquid/sts/cache/marshalErrors" m.sts_cache_marshal_errors.help = "marshalling errors when maintaining STS cache" m.sts_cache_refresh_cycles.expvar = "chasquid/sts/cache/refreshCycles" m.sts_cache_refresh_cycles.help = "STS cache refresh cycles" m.sts_cache_refresh_errors.expvar = "chasquid/sts/cache/refreshErrors" m.sts_cache_refresh_errors.help = "STS cache refresh errors" m.sts_cache_refreshes.expvar = "chasquid/sts/cache/refreshes" m.sts_cache_refreshes.help = "count of STS cache refreshes" m.sts_cache_unmarshal_errors.expvar = "chasquid/sts/cache/unmarshalErrors" m.sts_cache_unmarshal_errors.help = "unmarshalling errors in STS cache"